While most pancake recipes do call for eggs, it is possible to make delicious pancakes without them. Both of the recipes presented here are designed with the needs of vegans and individuals who are allergic to eggs - but everyone else in your household is likely to find them tasty as well.
Simple Eggless Pancakes
This recipe is a simple one that takes only 10 minutes to prepare. It makes just enough pancakes for two people.
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup of soy milk or rice milk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Put the sugar, baking powder and flour in a mixing bowl and stir.
- Pour in the milk and oil, continuing to stir rapidly.
- Put a griddle on the stove and set the burner to medium.
- Spray the griddle with nonstick cooking spray or lightly coat with oil.
- Pour the batter onto the griddle to form four-inch circles.
- Flip the pancakes when the edges start to turn a golden brown.
- Flip until both sides are golden brown.
- Remove from the heat.
Whole Wheat Eggless Pancakes
This recipe is for people who want to get more whole grains in their diet or simply like a thicker, more textured pancake. Note that this recipe is vegetarian but not vegan.
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Vegetable oil as needed
- Put all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, adding the buttermilk last.
- Use the electric mixer or a whisk to remove any lumps and make the batter of uniform thickness.
- Leave the batter to set for 10 minutes.
- Put the skillet on the stove and set the burner on high.
- Lightly coat the skillet with half a cup of oil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Take a half-cup measuring cup and scoop the batter onto the skillet to form each pancake.
- Flip the pancakes after one minute and cook the opposite side until golden brown.
- Flip them again as needed.
- Remove them from the heat when they are golden brown.
If you want to vary the flavor of the pancake recipe that you choose, consider adding one or more of these flavorful ingredients to the batter:
- Stir 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped pecans into the batter.
- Stir 1/4 to 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts into the batter.
- Stir 1/4 to 1/2 cup of fresh blueberries in the batter.
For a traditional pancake breakfast, serve with butter and syrup. You can also get creative with the toppings:
- Top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream.
- Spread your favorite flavor of jam or jelly flavor on them.
- Top with sliced fresh apples that have been stir fried in a mixture of butter and cinnamon.
Enjoy Homemade Pancakes
Now that you know how to make pancakes without eggs, you can enjoy this tasty dish any time you like. Keep in mind that pancakes aren't just for breakfast. They can also be a delicious, cost effective treat for lunch or dinner any day of the week.