If you're following a vegetarian diet and often short on time, you're in luck. Using microwave vegetarian recipes allows you to stick to your meat-free meal plan easily with little prep time.
Cinnamon Maple Breakfast Quinoa
This vegetarian breakfast recipe is packed with essential nutrients and sure to be a hit. Total prep time is just 10 minutes.
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Banana, sliced
- Milk or cream to taste
- Maple syrup to taste
- Rinse the quinoa well with water.
- Drain the quinoa.
- Place the quinoa, water, cinnamon, pecans, and 1 teaspoon of the butter in a microwave-safe bowl; stir.
- Microwave on high for four minutes; stir.
- Microwave on high for three more minutes.
- Remove the mixture from microwave and cover it with foil.
- Let the quinoa sit for two minutes to cool.
- Stir in the remaining butter.
- Top with milk, banana slices, cinnamon, and maple syrup.
Smoked Tofu Wraps
Tofu is an integral part of many vegetarians' diets and making smoked tofu wraps in the microwave for lunch takes just eight minutes.
- 6 ounces of sliced smoked tofu
- 2 whole-grain tortillas
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup of fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon ranch dressing
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Place the tortillas on a paper plate.
- Place the sliced tofu in the center of each tortilla.
- Sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top of the tofu.
- Cover with a damp kitchen towel.
- Heat in the microwave for 45 seconds or until the cheese is melted.
- Place the spinach, ranch dressing, and parmesan cheese on top of the tortillas.
- Roll the tortillas around the filling.
Vegetarian Brown Rice Casserole
If you're looking for a filling, quick, and easy dinner idea, try nutritious vegetarian brown rice casserole that will take you less than 15 minutes to make.
- 1 can (19 ounces) ready-to-serve lentil soup
- 1 can (7.75 ounces) unsalted mixed vegetables, drained
- 1 package (9 ounces) ready-to-serve brown rice
- 2 cans (4 ounces) of diced roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the lentil soup, mixed vegetables, peppers, rice, and 6 tablespoons of the cheese in a 2-quart, microwave-safe baking dish.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons of cheese on top of mixture.
- Cover and cook in the microwave at full power for 5 minutes, or until heated through and cheese on top is melted.
- Uncover and cool for 1 minute.
Where to Find More Recipes
While it may be simple to find vegetarian recipes, discovering meatless microwaveable recipes is a bit more challenging. To get you started, here are a few resources that may be helpful:
- Tarladalal.com is an Indian food site that provides a variety of microwaveable vegetarian recipes.
- Peta2 is a good option when you're following a vegan diet and seeking quick ways to microwave healthy meals. The vegan meals on this site can even be prepared and cooked in a mug.
- Allrecipes provides unique vegetarian ideas including breakfasts, soups, side dishes, and main courses.
Planning vegetarian menus doesn't have to be difficult or time consuming when using microwave recipes.