Pasta lovers rejoice. Your choice to be a vegan doesn't mean you can't enjoy an array of delicious pasta dishes.
Penne With Mushrooms and Garlic Herb Sauce
Mushrooms add an earthy flavor that marries well with pasta and with the white wine, adds a nice, balanced acidity. This recipe serves 4.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 garlic cloves, slivered
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 8 ounces vegan penne pasta, cooked according to package directions and drained
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium-high until it shimmers.
- Add the mushrooms, shallot, and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are soft and browned, about five minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and use the side of the spoon to scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer for two minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetable broth, thyme, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce reduces by half, three to five minutes more.
- Toss with the hot pasta and serve.
Tips and Variations
- Use no-egg pasta, or if you prefer your pasta gluten-free, substitute zucchini noodles for the pasta. You can microwave noodles for about two minutes to soften them before adding them to the sauce.
- Don't clean the mushrooms in water, which can leave them soggy. Instead, brush them with a mushroom brush or use a paper towel to wipe away dirt.
- When cooking the mushrooms, don't stir them a lot. Allow them to sit in contact with the pan as much as possible so they brown.
- Substitute any mushrooms that are in season, such as chanterelles or oyster mushrooms.
- If you prefer a spicier pasta, add a pinch of red pepper flakes when you add the broth.
- Replace the thyme with an equal amount of fresh basil or fresh oregano for a different flavor profile.
- Add some grated vegan cheese or nutritional yeast when you toss the sauce with the pasta, if desired.
- Add other veggies to the sauce. Try one cup of broccolini. Cook it while you cook the mushrooms.
- Halve one cup of cherry tomatoes and toss with the pasta and sauce.
- For a fresh herb flavor, stir in two tablespoons of chopped, fresh parsley when you toss the pasta with the sauce.
- For brighter acidity, add the juice of one lemon when you add the wine.
- For extra protein, add eight ounces of chopped tofu when you cook the vegetables.
- Thicken the sauce by whisking in 1/4 cup of vegan sour cream after step five. Cook, stirring constantly, just until the sauce rewarms and the sour cream is completely incorporated, about one minute.
Other Vegan Pasta Recipes
LoveToKnow has a number of pasta recipes that are vegan or can be made vegan with a few ingredient tweaks.
- Try a vegan pasta salad in three varieties.
- Omit the parmesan cheese and toss this spaghetti sauce with angel hair pasta, spaghetti, or zucchini noodles.
- Omit the parmesan (or replace it with a vegan version), and this zucchini noodles with creamy avocado pesto is sure to hit the spot.
- Spaghetti with vegetable marinara is a classic pasta and red sauce dish.
- Vegan mac and cheese uses nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor.
- Omit the parmesan or replace it with a vegan version, and this pasta primavera makes a delicious vegan meal.
- Vegan lasagna is filled with tasty veggies and homemade vegan ricotta cheese.
- Use vegan mayonnaise to make macaroni salad.
- Replace the butter with olive oil and make this turnip and tomato noodle soup.
An Array of Choices
The great thing about pasta is it is affordable, easy, and delicious. With a few great recipes in your back pocket, you can enjoy vegan pasta night every week for months and still not repeat any dishes.