Serves 4 to 6
- 1 eggplant, chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 3 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Chardonnay
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups fresh or frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 recipe Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- In a colander, sprinkle the eggplant with one tablespoon of the sea salt. Allow it to drain for 15 minutes. Rinse and pat dry with a paper towel. This removes the bitter juices from the eggplant.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet or pot, heat the olive oil on medium-high until it shimmers.
- Add the eggplant, onions, carrots, and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to brown, about five minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly until the garlic is fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring, for one minute.
- Add the white wine. Scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pot with the side of a spoon. Cook, stirring, until it thickens, one or two minutes.
- Add the broth, thyme, pepper, remaining 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt, and the peas. Bring to a simmer and remove from the heat.
- Spoon into a casserole. Top with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the potatoes start to brown, about 25 minutes.
You can change this in many ways.
- Replace the thyme with one tablespoon of chopped, fresh rosemary or tarragon
- Replace the eggplant with one cup of chopped tofu or seitan.
- Replace the vegan mashed potatoes with mashed sweet potatoes.
© 2022 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.