Ingredients for Mango Salsa Vegan Casserole Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive or vegetable oil
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15-ounce can mango slices, cubed
- 1 cup red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 2 cups sweet corn
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced and divided
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, divided
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups Arborio rice (risotto)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Sea salt to taste
- Combine beans, mango, corn, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice, red onion, tablespoon garlic and 1/4 teaspoon cumin in a bowl and toss.
- Salt and pepper salsa mix to taste; cover and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat; sauté white onion and 1 tablespoon garlic until soft. Reduce heat to a simmer; add red pepper and rice.
- Heat vegetable broth, pepper and divided cumin to a simmer; keep warm. Add 1 cup of warm broth to the rice mixture, stir over low heat until broth is absorbed; repeat until all 6 cups of liquid is absorbed and the Arborio rice is softened.
- Serve salsa and rice dishes with a fresh garden salad, or as side dishes with fondue, or alongside a plate of burritos; alternatively, combine the salsa and rice dishes into 1 casserole and use the leftovers as burrito filling.
Serve as a side dish; serves 8 people.
Preparation time: One hour