This recipe serves six.
- 3, (14-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 12 soft corn tortillas
- 2 cups grated vegan Jack cheese
- 3 (4.25 ounce) cans diced olives, drained
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced mild chilies, drained
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large saucepan, combine the tomato sauce, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, dried cumin, and sea salt. Bring to a simmer on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce heats, in a skillet heat the oil. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until it is soft, about five minutes. Remove both the onion and the tomato sauce from the heat.
- In a small bowl, mix the olives, onions, and diced chilies.
- Spread about 1/4 cup of the sauce in the bottom of a 9x13-inch rimmed baking pan or lasagna pan.
- Dip each tortilla in the sauce. Line the bottom of the pan with a single layer of tortillas (about three tortillas)
- Spread 1/3 of the olive mixture over the tortillas and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese. Pour 1/2 cup of the sauce over the cheese. Dip more tortillas in the remaining sauce and put them on top of the bottom layers in a single layer.
- Repeat steps six and seven, making two more layers of sauce, olives, cheese, and tortillas, and finishing with a layer of soaked tortillas. Pour any remaining sauce over the top of the tortillas and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and cook 30 minutes more until the cheese is bubbly.
Consider the following variations.
- Replace the olives with 2 cups of finely chopped seitan that you cook with the onions.
- Omit the diced green chilies and instead replace with canned corn.
- Replace the olives with 2 cups of drained, cooked black beans.
© 2022 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.