Vegan risotto works well with just about any vegetarian or vegan protein-rich main dish. Try this flavorful vegan asparagus risotto recipe when you want to impress dinner guests and pack in satiating fiber and other essential nutrients.
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the vegetable stock to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Blanch the asparagus (in a mesh strainer) in boiling vegetable stock for 2 minutes.
- Remove the asparagus and set aside.
- Saute the onion and garlic in oil for 4 to 6 minutes in a large saucepan.
- Add rice to mixture and cook for 1 to 2 additional minutes (stirring constantly until rice turns opaque).
- Add wine and continue stirring until rice absorbs the wine.
- Stirring constantly, pour in the vegetable stock, 1/2 cup at a time, until liquid is absorbed. Continue adding stock in 1/2-cup increments until absorbed, which will take a total of about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add asparagus and remaining ingredients to the rice mixture when you pour in the final 1/2 cup of stock.
- Cook an additional 2 to 3 minutes (stirring constantly) until the rice is tender and the mixture has a creamy consistency.
Servings: about 4
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill
- 1/2 to 1 cup shredded vegan cheese
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cremini mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron thread
Choosing Vegan Risotto
Choosing vegan risotto doesn't mean you have to sacrifice taste, as this plant-based side dish is just as flavorful (if not more so) than it's non-vegan counterpart.