Vegetable biryani is an Indian dish that is created with rice, a variety of spices, and several vegetables. Its mix of subtle and strong flavors combine and are infused in the vegetables and rice. This Mughlai main course can be served on its own or with raita and chips. While it takes a bit of time to create this savory dish, vegetable biryani is worth every minute.
- 2 cups basmati rice (or other long-grained rice)
- 3 cups water plus extra for soaking the rice
- 3 chopped large sweet potatoes
- 2 chopped large potatoes
- 1 chopped large onion
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup sweet peas
- 1/2 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced mint leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken into small pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- Black pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- Fried onions for garnish (optional)
Preparation and Cooking
- Soak the basmati rice in water for approximately 30 minutes.
- Drain the rice.
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour 3 cups of water into a large saucepan.
- Put the saucepan on the stove and bring the water to a boil.
- Add the rice and cook, covered, for 20 minutes, stirring every five minutes.
- Remove the saucepan with rice and water from the stove, then set it aside.
- Pour the olive oil in a large roasting pan. Put it in the preheated oven for approximately five minutes to heat it up.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, mix the sliced almonds, garlic, nutmeg, ginger, lemon juice, soy yogurt, coriander, mint, cinnamon, saffron, turmeric, red chili powder, rose water, and garam masala.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven and add the potatoes, sweet potatoes, onion, golden raisins, sweet peas, broccoli, and carrots to the olive oil, making sure that all the vegetables are coated with olive oil.
- Add the mix of spices and yogurt from step 9 to the roasting pan and stir to combine.
- Put the roasting pan in the oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Add rice to the pan and cook for an addition 5 to 10 minutes, ensuring that the rice is tender.
- Stir the dish well. Pour into large serving bowl.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot. Garnish with fried onions or as desired.
Have Fun with It
Biryani is an easily customized dish. Feel free to get a little creative and add in some of your favorite veggies, too. Tofu is a popular addition, and you may opt to spice things up even more with jalapeno. The tastes and aromas combine to provide a pleasurable dining experience. Many people in India are vegetarians, and it's easy with such delectable dishes as vegetable biryani.